The Orange Leader
The Orange County Health Inspector is watching the progress of Kim Wah Buffet located at 150 Strickland in Orange due to the results of recent health scores of the establishment.
Kim Wah Buffet received a visit from the health inspector for a field investigation. The restaurant received a score of 58 out of a possible 100. Demerits for the initial visit are for rice left on the counter to cool, sushi and eggs at higher than safe temperatures, storing foods in metal containers, defrosting foods inside buckets, onions sitting on the floor, foods left in the cooler uncovered, no hot water at the hand-wash sink, several dead roaches found, and mold found inside the drink dispensers.
The health inspector returned a week later for a compliance inspection. The restaurant received a score of 93 out of a possible 100. Demerits for the visit were for food left on he shelves uncovered.
The inspector noted he would revisit the establishment in a month to check on the progress of staying in compliance with health codes.
Other scores include:
• Subway #51959 located at 2496 MLK Drive in Orange. Score: 100.
• Sure Catch Seafood located at 605 West Roundbunch Road in Bridge City. Score: 97.
• Spindletop Restaurant located at 1480 West Freeway in Vidor. Score: 90. Demerits are for the floor in the walk-in cooler in need of repairs, and in need of replacing utensils at grill.
• Chevron/Gateway located at 1480 West Freeway in Vidor. Score: 89. Demerits are for needing name and address on all bags of ice sold, approximately 20 expired items on the shelves, and mold found at the drink station.
• Papa John’s Pizza #3590 located at 2305 MacArthur Drive in Orange. Score: 96. Demerits are for tomatoes and Ranch dressing being out of date.
• The Garden District located at 7536 Highway 87 North in Orange. Score: 100.
• Glenda’s Bake A Cake located at 3300 Western Avenue in Orange. Score: 100.
• Decent Store located at 110 Texla Road in Vidor. Score: 86. Demerits are for needing name and address on all nags of ice sold, 62 expired items on the shelves, and several gnats found by the hand-washing station.
• Carl’s Jr. located at 288 Strickland Drive in Orange. Score: 94. Demerits are for freezer door not closing and several ‘clean’ dishes with old foods still on them.